Wednesday 29 January 2014

Reminiscing

As my first placement is rapidly coming to the end, I thought I should reminisce and go back to where it all started.

30th September 2013 aka first day of training is where it all began at BBC Elstree. The first day of anything is always quite daunting as you don’t really know what to expect. However, the first day was filled with a lot of excitement as the 20 apprentices were slowly getting to know each other by doing the dreading ‘let’s go round the room and tell everyone something about you’ as well as working in groups doing various activities that would be relevant for our upcoming placement. I would like to thank Gilly, Martina, Maddy, Darren and all the speakers who taught us so much and made training enjoyable.


Training days consisted of going to Wood Norton and making our own fake show. This involved us splitting up in 3 groups of 3. One group would be on the camera, one group on the panel and one group in the gallery. Over the course of the day, we all got a chance to try everything out. Another training day was at our college (Westminster Kingsway) where we learnt all about the different media sectors and was a pretty insightful day. I also started to understand how the tube worked which was brilliant. Heading back up to my home town Manchester for 2 days happened in the middle of training. The reason for this is because we had to attend ‘Upfront’ which just told you more about the BBC. We stayed in a hotel in the centre which was an experience in itself. The rooms were slightly haunted, old fashioned and there was one lift for the entire hotel. Let’s just say we made the best out of a bad situation.



Throughout the 5 weeks of training, strong friendships started to form that are going to last for a very long time. We would spend out of working hours together, whether this would be a drink after training in the local pub, going for a bit of retail therapy or going out for a meal (which was a disaster). There wasn't a day that went by without being in fits of laughter and cannot wait to be reunited on the 10th February.


My first placement was in Manchester, Media City working with the Religion and Ethics department. When I heard Religion and Ethics I was a bit sceptical about it, however I got put on the team that produce the documentaries and I have to say it’s been amazing first placement. Before Christmas I was working on a programme called ‘Fern Britton Meets’. This programme was where Fern Britton met up with various celebrities and interviewed them about their religion and how their faith has helped them throughout their career.  Over the 4 part series that went out on BBC1, Fern interviewed, Susan Boyle, John Simpson, Christine Ohuruogu and Ken Dodd. On this programme I got 2 credits which I have to say was a fabulous feeling and made my family very proud.





I have thoroughly enjoyed my first placement, meeting incredible and influential people who have been in the business for years, gaining skills and hands on experience that I can carry over and continue for the rest of my apprenticeship. However, this experience has been shared with Laila who has been my rock through thick and thin and could not have done this without her. We have both got to know each other like the palm of our hand and sometimes too much information has been shared. But we have had great fun going to Chester Zoo, nights out in Leeds, going to the cinema, introducing her to Frurt and even having a luxurious spa weekend with a random zip wire in the middle of it all. Laila has also taught me so much and helped me grow as a person as well as providing some brilliant advice so Laila, thank you so much! <3 Sisters4lyf



My next placement is in London at ITV and trying to find somewhere to live, well, isn’t fun!  Will keep you updated.

But for now,

Stay fabulous

B ♥ 


Leave a comment below or send me a tweet @biancamarks95

No comments:

Post a Comment